About Flip N Funny

My photo
Initially, this blog was designed to track my development as a comic. Although that remains true today, the blog has evolved into something more. The FlipNFunny Blog is now a catchall medium to express my thoughts on any subject whether it concerns comedy, films, sports, or life in general. Essentially, if I feel strongly about something, you can expect to see my thoughts here. Thank you.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Should I Stay or Should I Go? Part 2

Looking Forward to Comedy 2012

In 2007, I met a lot of great guys starting out in the Vancouver Comedy scene. We saw each other’s ambitions and supported each other’s raw talents in rooms like Zawa, Wired Bean, Myles of Bean, etc. In the four and half years since, our numbers dwindled. Some left comedy because they realized their talent couldn’t cash in the cheques their ambitions were writing. Others left out of sheer frustration of the process. And a few of us left because other priorities began to trump their comedic dreams. At the end of 2012, will I be the next to go?

I have never started a year with so much doubt regarding my future in comedy. When I started comedy in 2007, I had a good job and a great girlfriend. This year, I’m starting comedy with a great job and a great wife. I’m at a stage of my life where I have to decide between my boyhood dreams and more adult responsibilities.

This year, I have to do more to justify continuing the dream. There’s more to improving than more stage time and increased paid gigs. I have to challenge myself to be better in all aspects. I have to write better, perform better, interact with the audience better, and network with other comics better. I need to step up to every challenge that crosses my path whatever that may be.

If I don’t feel that I made myself into a significantly better comic at the end of 2012, I am done.

No comments:

Post a Comment